Saturday, February 20, 2016

Always Find Ways To Give


This month I've been on a decluttering kick.  Gotten rid of a few things, made a ran to the local thrift shop, but as I was going through my closet earlier this week I found a pair of really nice shoes and decided it was time to part with them.

I don't have any memories of my family having garage or yard sales.  Even when we were really struggling it was tradition to round up anything we weren't using, grown out of clothes, etc, and take them to the Salvation Army.  Here in Utah one of the main donation places is Deseret Industries, which helps Humanitarian efforts throughout the World.  Though more often I like to take my items to Savers, a chain of thrift stores supporting many charities.

I don't have a lot of money, and if I did I would donate more then I can now.  This has always been a good way to help other people.  A simple way to help that doesn't take much time or extra money.  

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise." ~ Alma 37:6.

There's power in "small and simple things."

So earlier this week I found a really nice pair of shoes and sat them aside so I could make a quick Savers run, but things kept coming up that prevented me from doing so.  Then last night I found on the door a bag with a note, asking for shoes to help with an African Relief Effort, and I knew just where these shoes needed to go.

Honestly I know how fortunate I am to have extra pairs of shoes.  My Step Grandpa, before he passed away a few years ago, had all these stories of growing up during the Great depression.  One of his favorite stories involved a new pair of shoes, because back then shoes was a luxury, one pair per child, wearing them thin with holes.

We take so much for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment