Monday, February 29, 2016

The Sacredness Of This Land, And the Importance of Memorizing Scripture

 
Each week I have a goal of memorizing a scripture.  Scripture mastery hasn't been one of my strong suits, and I wish I was a better scriptorian.  I'm a woman of great faith.  I have a strong testimony.  And though I attend Sunday school, read the scriptures, and spent enough hours attending Institute of Religion classes to earn a second high achievement certificate during my 20's, I wish I knew the scriptures better.

Many years ago my Step Grandfather, before his passing and after I gave a talk when I was 19 during sacrament meeting, said with great reverence, "You have a living testimony."   He said it many times since, and I'm not quite sure what he meant by it.  What does it mean to have a living testimony?  But my testimony in Christ's gospel, and that Christ lives and is still with us, is very strong.  I live what I believe.  Though imperfect, and though I make many mistakes, I strive always to follow him.

Several years ago my YSA (Young Single Adults) stake (a stake is a group of congregations) had two stake conferences a month apart.  This is very unusual, as stake conference only happens twice a year, six months apart.  This happened because Elder Richard G. Scott, a member of the 12 apostles before he passed away last year, came to speak to us.  He chose our stake, even though there were three YSA stakes in our area.  He specifically came to speak to us.

It was extraordinary.  We were excited.  What would he talk about?

My brother and I got there really early and got close seats in the pews, a couple rows from the podium.  And by the time the meeting started and Elder Scott found his seat, he was positioned directly in front of me on the stand.  No head blocked my view.  And I watched him, overwhelmed, filled with the spirit, but also fighting depression and overwhelming feelings of self-doubt.

When he got up to speak his main area of topic was the importance of memorizing the scriptures.  To always have them within us, and the blessings this brings.

In High School I attended early morning seminary at 6:30 in the morning.  Scripture mastery is a huge part of Seminary.  Every year there were 40 scriptures to master, and every year I only memorized a couple.  It's something I've always hung onto.  A regret that I wish I had put more importance on practicing and committing these sacred texts to memory.

I know Elder Scott talked on more topics, more about the scriptures and personal counsel for us.  But it was his loving advice on the scriptures and memorizing them that stuck with me.  And I never followed through.  Always in the back of my mind I would see him, that moment, and regret that I haven't followed his counsel.  Then he passed away last year, and what he spoke came back to my memory.

And now it is Leap Day, 2016, and I am finally going to commit myself to the memorizing of scripture.  Bit by bit.  The goal is one a week, though for longer scriptures it may take longer.  But I know the sure act of it, of always having the scriptures on my mind, will be a blessing, and will enlarge my sensitivity to the spirit.  In this day and age this is a gift.

The first scripture I'm going to work on memorizing is 2 Nephi 7-8, from the Book of Mormon.

"7 Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever.

"And behold, it is wisdom that this land should be kept as yet from the knowledge of other nations; for behold, many nations would overrun the land, that there would be no place for an inheritance."

The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ.  Another witness that he is our savoir and redeemer.  The Book of Mormon is the Stick of Joseph spoken of in Ezekiel 37: 15-17, whereas the Stick of Judah is the Bible.  "The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying, Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions: And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand."

But along with this, the Book of Mormon is a record of those who lived in the promise land.  This Land: The America's.  From Canada all the way down to Chili's southern tip.

This is a sacred land.  A land of promise.  Of blessings.

But this is a land of great responsibility, as well.

There's a reason the America's had remained hid for so long from the World.  And it's discovery was by no accident.  The coming forth of this land was in our Savior's hands.

The future is uncertain.  So much hangs in the balance.  But no matter what happens I put my trust in God.  No matter what happens I love America.  I love the founding principles in which this Country was formed under.  And I'm thankful for the Bill of Rights allowing for the freedom of religion and speech, which allowed the miracle of the Great Awakening, a miracle that couldn't have happened elsewhere.

We are all so blessed for this.  And I feel blessed to be apart of this legacy, for the bravery of our founding fathers, and for all my ancestors who risked their lives for this Country.  I will always be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment