Monday, December 1, 2014

What I'm Thankful For . . .

With Thanksgiving taking place last week a lot of my friends have been writing what they're thankful for, and the themes have mainly centered around friends and family.

I'm thankful for my friends and family as well, always will be, but as of late my mind has been pondering something else I'm thankful for:

Small moments.

I'm thankful for moments.

Moments in time.

Snapshots.

Images that quickly pass before our eyes without a second thought.

Fleeting feelings that propel us from one experience to the next.

"Stop and smell the roses" is a saying many of us have grown up with, but quickly forget to apply.

And so I have been pausing to "smell the roses."

The World, it seems, has become turbulent and crazy.  Crazy if we allow current events to swallow us whole.  Turbulent if we allow fear to override sense.  Anything can happen, sure, and it's good to prepare for any tragic event that can befall us, but let's not forget to celebrate the present.

Let's not forget to pause and be in the moment.  Take it in.  Breathe and feel.

That's what I've been doing these last several weeks, pausing to count my blessings as I force myself to be and enjoy the moment instead of speeding ahead.

I'm thankful for moments.  Moments with my family.  Moments surrounded by nature.  Moments of peace.  Moments out and about doing the things I love.  Moments that allow me to live my passions.

I read somewhere once that when you eat you should concentrate on each bite and chew.  Focus on the foods taste.  Focus on the texture.  Focus on the way the food makes you feel.  Then swallow and repeat.  If you do this, instead of scarfing down the food, the experience will be more enjoyable, and it gives your brain a chance to register what is going on.  Sweet things become more sweet. Savory foods become more savory.

I feel this is the same for moments.

Stop and feel each moment.  Taste it.  Focus.  Count your blessings.  The sweet will become sweeter.  And even if times are bad, you'll notice the little flecks of joy you may have otherwise  missed.

Thank you for the moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment