Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Skewed Perception of a Child's Mind

So my Mom was reading my blog last week, and informed me that the blog post I wrote a couple weeks ago about Cambria was in error.  We didn't discover Cambria when I was in Middle School, and thanks to my Great-Grandparents living in Atascadero, I grew up visiting Moonstone beach, San Simeon, and Hearst Castle many, many times when I was a kid.

"Wait, they didn't live in Carlsbad?" I asked in disbelief.

"Never when you were alive."

"So, whenever we visited them, we weren't driving down south?  They weren't living past Riverside?"  I asked, remembering how my Great-Grandpa left Iowa when my Grandma was a kid and bought land to farm in Riverside CA, back when there was enough land to do so.  (Kind of hard to picture now with how congested that whole area is.)

"No," my Mom said, "That was Atastcadero.  It was always Atastcadero.  Remembered when you ran up the hill to Uncle Alan's house?  That was Atascadero."

"Yes," I said, being reminded of one of my few childhood stories that's constantly reiterated.  Back when I was told to stay at my Great-Grandparent's home with my second cousin and, whilst looking up the steep grade hill to the home of my second uncle, we decided it would be great fun to rebel and run up the hill.  Halfway up the adults noticed and started yelling at us to come back.  In my memory we made it up the hill, but now I'm starting to doubt.  (I just now, while writing this, asked my Grandma, and she said she can't remember if we made it or not, but that it was really cute.  Dang, my memory of rebel gallantness probably wasn't gallant at all.  We probably were retrieved :\)

"Wait," I then paused, shifting between reminiscence, "That time when we went to the children's museum.  That wasn't on the way to my Great-Grandparents?"

"No.  We were visiting my parents, and that was somewhere in L.A."

Mind blown.

Suddenly a batch of memories from my childhood turned, literally, on its head.

I just don't know what to believe or trust anymore 0_0

(*Note, this is a really cute picture I found of my Mom and I at Disneyland when I was a wee tot.  A picture which has nothing, specifically, to do with this topic at hand, besides my being younger and adorable, plus my Mom looks pretty good, too.  I just wanted to share.* :0)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have that happen too...I decided a while ago that my memory was too faulty to trust, and so I just say "I don't know" or "I don't remember for sure" when people ask me questions. I figure it will all come back to me after I die. Ha ha! :D

    ReplyDelete