Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Stupid Dog

Spotting wildlife is fun.

When I was visiting the Grand Tetons many years ago I was incredibly disappointed not to see any bears or moose.

Bears allude me.  I just have no talent for finding them.  Once, at girls camp in the great Sierra Nevada's, it seemed EVERYONE at some point spotted a bear that week.  Then the next year we had to tie the cabin doors shut due to sighted bears.

I did see a grand Canadian moose once while driving through Banff.  That was epic.

But what I really want is to see is an American moose!

A couple weeks ago I finally got my wish while visiting Island Park in Idaho.

A white dog, from another cabin, seemed to be equally excited . . .

The second night at the cabin I want on a walk with Erin and Krista, sunset, over the bridge where I would later lose my glasses (-_-;;), and to the canoe launch pad where we gazed over the beauty that is nature.

Then suddenly we heard a commotion.

A few hundred feet up the river was a mamma moose with her kiddie moose.  And at the river bank was a barking white dog bouncing around.

The mamma stopped and starred, while the owners yelled for the dog to return to the cabin.

This went on for quite awhile.  The moose standing still, the dog barking (charging in and out of the water), and the owners yelling, hidden behind trees.

At one point the moose started walking towards the bank, almost stepping on dry land, but thankfully they stopped as the yells increased to desperation, and the dog left momentarily.

Finally the moose started walking up the river, probably realizing the silly dog wasn't a true threat.  And for a moment, as I stood near the docks edge, the moose was walking right towards me.  I didn't shift or move, instead watching in awe, standing my ground.  Then the moose shifted direction to venture further down the river.

I won't deny that the whole experience was equally amusing and fun :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment