Sunday, August 31, 2014

Preparing For an LDS Mission, Part 1

 (Last Saturday, September 6, I decided to not serve a LDS mission.  You can read about it here, "Deciding to Not Serve a LDS Mission.")
I'm preparing to serve a full time LDS mission, which for women is an 18 month commitment verses 2 years for men.

This is something I've always wanted to do.  Serving a mission has always been a desire of my heart, but one thing or another has prevented me. 

Having three younger brothers is one thing that's kept me here.  Having two kids from one family out at the same time is very difficult, and with my brothers being priesthood holders, it was more important for them to serve.  Then by the time Robbie got home I felt my focus should be marriage, so I stuck around just in case someone amazing came into my life.  Obviously that time isn't now, or it would have happened.  And I've been helping get Talea Studios going.  That important, too.  My family (Talea Studios) has been working on a huge project which we haven't announced yet.  The announcement is a few month away.

So I convinced myself that the mission boat had sailed, despite the aches in my heart reminding me of my desire.

Then on the 22nd of August something really important happened.  Everything fell into place.  It's all pretty miraculous, and I have the full support of my family.

And then realization hit!!  It's one thing to want to serve a mission, and another to make it happen.
There's a process that I'm still trying to figure out.  I met with the bishop last week, scheduled my doctor and dentist visit this week, went to my first mission prep class today, and that's where I'm at.  I'm not even sure at what point I'm supposed to be interviewed by the Stake President.  One step at a time.

And this is all before I even get to "send in my papers."

Sending in ones papers is when all the doctors, dentist, documents, interviews, etc, are completed and sent to Church headquarters.

Then a mission committee goes over the paper work and through inspiration selects when and where the future missionary will serve.  (I'm not entirely sure of the process, but I have a testimony in it.)
I don't get to choose where I'm going, or the date I'm leaving.  This is a huge leap of faith, and I am nervous, can't lie.

I completely understand why there are young men who choose not to serve missions.  It's a scary process.  And I just found out how scared my brother Michael was during his mission prep and MTC (missionary training center) experience. It was a very trying time for him.

I should know when and where I'm going a few weeks after my papers are submitted, and getting all my papers together is a process I can't predict.  I'm not quite sure when this opening process will be finished.  But I won't be leaving before January, because I'm setting my availability date for the middle of that month.

I'm nervous, but I know this is right.  This is the time I was supposed to serve.  God's timing doesn't make sense to me, but it's not supposed to make sense.  That's where faith comes in :0)

Ecclesiastes 3:1 "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."

 (Last Saturday, September 6, I decided to not serve a LDS mission.  You can read about it here, "Deciding to Not Serve a LDS Mission.")

No comments:

Post a Comment