Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Delightful Read

I may have already written about this, some sinister voice in the back of my mind says so, but I don't care, because if I haven't declared my most favorite book of all time, then that's quite a shame, but if I'm merely repeating myself, so be it.  The pure awesomeness of The Princess Bride is worth repeating.

And worth rereading over and over again for pure sport and amusement.

Oh, and let's not forget an over zealous amount of giggles, too.

While waiting the hour it takes Lens Crafters to make a pair of glasses, I wandered into a used bookstore in the Provo Town mall.

I love old books.  Love flipping them open to read old turn-of-the-century copyright dates and inscriptions, if possible.  It's a fun game of discovery.

And then I found something a little modern: The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Immediately I flipped through it to see if it was a recent edition with the short story "Buttercup's Baby" and the 30th anniversary introduction.  It was!  And though I could have bought a cheaper copy on Amazon, I got it anyway.

There was an inscription written in bold black ink over a bright pink sticky note, posted over the inside map: "Fun, exciting, light read (one of Kelsey's favorites!) if you need to 'get away'."

It is a great "get away" book, full of great humor and style.  All around silliness.  And, dare I say, even better than the movie, which is super fantastic.

Honestly, this is the #1 book l love to recommend, which is proven by the "falling apart" status of my older overly borrowed copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment