Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Romeo and Juliet: Movie Review



Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

"Never was a Story of
More Woe
than this, of
Juliet and her
Romeo"

The setting: Verona
The characters: Juliet, her Romeo, some comic relief, overbearing parents, and feuding families.
Plot: Star crossed lovers try, unsuccessfully, to find their Happily Ever After (Spoiler Alert!), amongst said feuding families and untimely realities.

Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is a story that has stood the test of time.  I read it for the first time in High School, pouring over the drama and the thick, sweet words, watching the 1968 Franco Zeffirelli's version in the process.  This is the version that all follow adaptation are compared, because, like a Jane Austen novel, you can never have too many takes on a single play.

Carlo Carlei is the latest director to the Romeo and Juliet table, and here he serves a plate rich in scenic wonder, beautiful cinematography, and delightful costumes.  This stage is set nicely, and is a wonder to behold.  A great escape piece.

The text, though, is not pure.  Long soliloquy's and monologues are cut down, bite size tidbits for a modern audience.  I should be overly disgruntled by this, but I'm not.  If I want to see a full version I'll find a local performing troupe or simply read it myself, imagining the grandeur.  Here the words fit the screen, making the story easy to follow for those not familiar, or heightening crucial moments through careful editing.

This story, though I've read and enjoyed it many times, was made fresh.  The audience was filled with various ages, many of whom know the tale as well as I.  Yet, through the climaxes end, I could hear sniffles in surround sound.  Everyone holding back tears and breath as the tragedy unfolded.  It was marvelous, really.  There was a teenage girl sitting next to my Mom and I who was in tears by the credits, already knowing the plot, but this version shook her, moving her to the core.  If this adaptation can move people like that, then it's worth watching.

Juliet, played by Oscar nominee (True Grit) , and the handsome Romeo, played by , are sweet in their roles, but it is the side characters that truly shine.  as the Nurse and as Friar Laurence were both outstanding.

To date, since this films October 11th release, it has only grossed $1,112,972, opening in 421 theaters.  I didn't even realize until last weekend that this movie was already out, thinking it had a November/December release.  All trailers I saw said it was "Coming Soon."  Dangerous words.

I'll be buying this movie on Blu-ray.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for some violence and thematic elements

 

No comments:

Post a Comment