Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Frozen: Movie Review


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

It seems like the advertising for Disney's Frozen has given the film a "shrouded in mystery" feel.  Unless you watch the Disney channel, confession, you don't really know what this movie is about . . . or that it's a musical!!  (Why does Disney feel the need to hide this?  They did the same with Tangled.  It's a selling point.)

For months movie theater audiences have been treated with an animated short featuring two non-human characters from Frozen: Olaf the snowman and a reindeer.  It was cute and funny at first, until it stopped being cute and funny . . . but that's probably because I'm a movie theater addict.  An interesting approach to advertising, though the trailer says nothing about the movies theme.

I didn't have high hopes going into the theater, but my apprehension was wrong.  Frozen's Fantastic.

Frozen is based on the Hans Christian Anderson's story of the Snow Queen, but like most Disney Fairy Tales this story is loosely based on the original.  I feel the more I say the more I spoil, and not knowing much going into this film was a nice, refreshing change.  I liked being surprised.

I loved Tangled.  LOVE Tangled, the last Disney musical animation based on Rapunzel, but there wasn't enough songs!  Only four main songs with a bunch of reprises.  Mulan, amazing as well, had the same problem with only four main songs.  (Though "I'll Make a Man Out of You" and "I See the Light" are stellar.)

With Frozen we are given eight main songs and one reprise.  Eight!  "Let It Go" is this movies stand out song, sung by Elsa ().  (Okay, side note, when I found out Idina Menzel, from Elphaba "Wicked" fame, was voicing a character in Frozen my first thought was, "She better sing a song!!"  That was my biggest complaint with the movie "Enchanted," Idina not singing . . . though from a story standpoint it wouldn't work, but if there was ever a sequel . . .) "Let It Go" is such a strong, spirited song with fantastic, gorgeous animation.  A lot of the songs in Frozen are fun, though I must admit that some of the lyric choices made me cock my head to the side a couple times, but overall great songs.

And opening the movie with the choral piece "Vuelie (feat. Cantus)" was brilliant!  The music geek in me was tripping out.  Combining African like chants with medieval tonality was so cool.

The acting is good.  The music fantastic.  Animation great.

A fun family movie just in time for Thanksgiving :0)      

. . . now I wonder how long it will take Disneyland to give the Matterhorn a Frozen theme.    

MPAA: Rated PG for some action and mild rude humor.


3 comments:

  1. Nice to see a family flick that actually is for everybody in the family. Good review Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :0) It really is for everyone in the family! Which is so refreshing and nice.

      Delete