Thursday, September 19, 2013

I Found Cerulean Jade!


 I found Cerulean Jade!  Well, the color isn't quite cerulean, but it's close.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I found it, having looked everywhere.  Doing some research, taking into account that I got the above pieces in a California gem store, I believe this is Nephrite Blue Jade from Big Sur California.

Jade is a funny semi-precious stone, because so many stones that are not technically "jade" gets labeled as such, and that has to do with the vast history of jade.  Two types of mineral compounds are considered true jade: Nephrite and Jadeite.  The history behind jade and the many cultures it has touched anciently--Korea, Egypt, China, and Mesoamerica to name a few--is really quite fascinating. 

My Mom made me this beautiful bracelet pictured below with a stone labeled "New Jade," which is the mineral compound Serpentine.  The color is beautiful, and one of my most favorite pieces my Mom has made for me.  I don't care if it's technically not a "jade."

But I'm still quite happy to have found a blue jade.

No comments:

Post a Comment