Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, Movie Review


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

There are dangers that come from movies based on books: Expectations, regrets, worries, too much plot, watered down plot, a plot that's not entirely explained for those who haven't read the material, etc.  In many cases the book is better then the movie, and it's hard to realize 2 hours isn't enough to explain or include a few things, which is why there's a need to reduce and recalculate.  

I've found "for and against" benefits to reading a book before seeing it's accompanying film.  Hunger Games: I'm glad I read the book series first.  Harry Potter: Well, reading the books helped fill in the gaps the movies missed, which doesn't say much for the movies, but I loved them just the same.  Then there's Ella Enchanted; If I had read the book first I would have hated the movie, which is why I'm glad I read it after.  

This is why I debated over reading the Mortal Instruments book series after hearing it was being turned into a movie.  Not knowing the plot beforehand helps me to see the movie as simply that: A movie.  Movies aren't books and vice versa.  The approach to storytelling is different.  Not knowing the plot helps me see the flaws and gaps if there are any.  So I choose to not read the books . . . though I've been really wanting to read Clockwork Angel, which I don't think would have given anything away, taking place during Victorian England in the Mortal Instruments universe, and seeming to have a steam punk vibe (via book cover).

That all being said, I was thoroughly entertained by the movie, which kept me on the edge of my seat.  The material is quite dark with demons, shadow hunters (those who kill demons), vampires, werewolves, warlocks, etc, and budding with everything a supernatural teen thriller would want, love triangles included.  Can't leave out those love triangle, after all.

The plot kept a solid pace, explaining and introducing the World in an easy to digest, interesting manner.  We learn as Clary () learns, seeing things as she does.  When she goes to a club with her friend Simon (), she watches a teen kill another teen, only to then learn, after realizing she was the only one who witnessed this act of violence, that the shadow hunter Jace () killed a demon.  Why is she able to see this?  What does it have to do with her family?  And what is that symbol she unconsciously draws?

Not having any pre-literary conception I felt the characters were well cast and the acting pretty strong.  Much stronger then Twilight.  I actually cared about these characters and was interested in what happens to them, so much so that I've spoiled the plot of future books by going onto wikipedia.  I still want to read them, which isn't something Beautiful Creatures achieved, but after reading Clockwork Angel, of course.

Would I recommend this movie?  Not so openly.  This movie was a lot stronger then the Twilight series and Beautiful Creatures, but is really quite dark in feel and theme, and therefore won't appeal to many viewers.         

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of fantasy violence and action, and some suggestive content.

No comments:

Post a Comment