Thursday, August 8, 2013

. . . it Was Bound To Happen . . .


For the longest time my sister-in-law had a cracked cell phone.  I've seen it on other cell phones, as well.  And because of this the idea of the glass on my cell getting cracked was only a matter of time . . . I should have been more optimistic!  Instead of thinking towards the inevitable.

It happened a couple nights ago.  Krista, my sister-in-law, invited me to look at some homes for the 2013 Salt Lake City Parades of Homes, which is still taking place.  Essentially you go all over the valley looking at various homes, sorta House Hunter style, until you've covered all 35 homes . . . if it ever comes to that!  Two nights in and we've only covered 5.

It's a lot of fun . . . but back on topic, we were still at our first home, #16 in Bluffdale, when we were finished looking at a guest house which, amazingly, had an inclosed 1/2 size basketball court.  Impressive, but I was being careless.

Some of the homes require you wear socks or bootees, and I choose the bootee  route.  By the garage door at the back house I reached down to take off my right bootee when I watched my phone drop, slow motion!

It always astounds me how, when something traumatic happens, everything slows down.  Yet my hand wasn't fast enough.  I watched it land on the upper left corner, bounce up, and then land face down.  When I picked it up to turn it over I was afraid of what I might see, and it was exactly what I feared: Shattered glass.

Suddenly feelings and thoughts coursed through my mind!  Visions of things that could have gone differently that would have prevented the injury.  Emotions of anger and frustration trying to bubble within, which I fought.  "It's only a thing!  A thing!  People are more important!  Accidents happen.  That's life . . . and it goes on."  This circled my mind for a good hour.  I've been working very hard to control my thoughts, emotions, and attitude.  It's a long process, but so far I've managed pretty well.  I almost cracked!  But didn't.

A thing.

Luckily my brother Michael is a technical genius.  As in when he was 18-19 our '87 Oldsmobile that we shared lost it's engine.  Taking it to the shop would have cost too much, so my Dad did the next best thing.  He bought two giant manuals with corresponding tools and wished my brother luck, never having any previous experience or guidance.  For two months Michael worked on the engine, when time allowed, taking it step by step, and it worked on the first try!  He amazed the mechanics who tested it out, saying they had to try at least twice.

So Michael bought a kit with the tools, and he's going to try replacing the glass.  He's amazing, and I won't cry if it doesn't work out, but if it does my phone will mean more . . . and I'm going to have to splurge on one of those fancy protector cases for the future, in case I drop the phone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment