Friday, August 23, 2013

Take Nothing For Granted

(Photo I took overlooking the Great Salt Lake)

"It's human nature to start taking things for granted again when danger isn't banging loudly on the door." 

~ David Hackworth

I've been in a very introspective mood lately.  It's this Summer, really.  Life's been a little crazy.

Last year, on my Mom's birthday, we found out my Grandpa was in the hospital having problems with his heart.  He's doing better now, good days and bad, strong and weak, but better.  According to the doctors 90% die within the first week with his condition, and here we are a year and a half later.  He's still here.  It's a blessing, but it's been stressful as well.  Trips back and forth to help, wondering what's going to happen.

One things for certain, my Grandfather must be here for a reason, because he's defied death.

So here I am in California on one of these trips . . . introspective.  Thinking about the state of the World, about everything I hear because I'm a news junkie.  Looking at the Ocean, taking in the beauty while contemplating the Earthquake in Japan a couple years ago.  Tsunamis and whatnot.  The Ocean so peaceful and yet potentially violent.  Then thinking about Isaiah and last days stuff . . .

It's a wonder I'm having insomnia issues!  All that positive thinking I need to work on.

But still, out of all of it one thing keeps coming to mind: Don't take anything for granted.

Anything can happen.  Anything can be taken away.  That's true, but what's also true is that, regardless of our situation, we still have so much. 

The first moment I realized this was several weeks ago while at the Pleasant Grove promenade.  I was sitting, manning the booth while reading a mans idea of what could happen during the overdue Utah earthquake.  (1 in 7 chance it happens in the next 50 years  . . . which are the same odds as the coastal earthquakes).  It's terrifying, as I realized during Geology 101 a decade ago, with the valley floor dropping, liquidation, reservoirs breaking, etc.  I was sitting there freaking out a little when a peaceful feeling came over me.

Suddenly I looked up and realized how beautiful everything was.  The Peace we still have.  The sun was setting illuminating the mountains in a beautiful deep pink hue.  The air blissful with a soft warm breeze.

Don't take it for granted.

Like I said, anything can happen.  Anything.  And chances are there will be no warning.  But why waste the present on something that can't be predicted?  On something I may never experience?  What's to gain in that?

So I've been here taking in the present while contemplating the future.  Possibilities, wonderful possibilities of all the things I want to do, music I want to compose, musicals I want to script, stories I want to write, and places I want to see.

Drink in the sunshine; breathe it in.

And don't take anything for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment