Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Helping With the Parade


 I know this is so passé, heh, which I've got quite a few more "old" posts coming up, but I really wanted to blog about this!

This last 4th of July I volunteered with the HAM radio group at the Freedom Parade in Provo UT.  I've only been to it a few times, even being in it about a decade ago dancing on a float with the LDC choir, but this was my first time volunteering.



 It's crazy how many people stay the night!!


 Where I worked, shadowing the second person in charge, relaying messages and so forth with my Dad.  I was at the point where the floats, bands, and VIP merge into the Parade, which was amazing!


 There are Three things that always brings a HUGE response from the audience: BYU, the Veterans, and the missionaries.





 Mike Lee, who is one of Utah's Senators, was in the parade, as was Jason Chaffetz who walked beside his vehicle.


 Ciera Pekarcik, the "Smart" Miss Utah from the Miss America line of competition.


We had to use air balloons thanks to the expense of Helium . . . which is attributed to politics and shortages . . . which leads me to mention that we didn't have a fly over thanks to the sequester . . . because fly overs and White House tours are what the government chooses to cut . . . 

Anyway, I had a fantastic time and can't wait to help out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment