Monday, June 10, 2013

G.I. Joe Retaliation: Movie Review


Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

I made a mistake when I went to see G.I. Joe Retaliation . . . I didn't see the first one.  Someone told me not to bother, so I didn't . . . and I'm not at all the worst for it . . .

That said, because of this fact I spent the first half of the new G.I. Joe film utterly confused as to who people where, and who, exactly, I should be rooting for.  I'm usually really good at figuring these things out.

Of course I should have seen this coming.  I mean, if I saw Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets before the Philosopher Stone and was confused over sorting and the importance of winning the house cup, I would only have myself to blame.

But my Dad did see the first movie and was still confused with scene cuts and editing choices.

Once I got over my "Who's Who" game, I did find myself quite entertained, though only for certain parts.  This movie was such a mixed bag!  There were 5 star moments sandwiched between 2 star moments.  The scene where World leaders are meeting and are threatened was a 5 star moment.  I was on the edge of my seat screaming in my head "I can't believe that just happened!"  Insane.  The fight scene where martial artist were swinging from mountain to mountain while swashing swords was epic!

And I did enjoy the presence of and Bruce Willis.

Still, with a clunky first half and missteps in scene editing/order, this movie earned a low rating.

. . . I would like to see that martial arts scene again . . .

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of combat violence and martial arts action throughout, and for brief sensuality and language.

No comments:

Post a Comment