Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Ephraim's Rescue: Movie Review



Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Ephraim's Rescue is a companion story to the 2011 successful LDS film 17 Miracles, about the Martin & Willie Handcart companies.  Both movies are directed by T.C. Christensen.  Whereas 17 Miracles exclusively follows the Willie Handcart company, this story follows the life of Ephraim Hank's, an early convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and one of the first rescuers of the Martin Handcart Company.  This new movie also follows those in the Martin Company, some of their struggles and sacrifices as they traveled west.

Originally I wasn't going to see Ephraim's Rescue, having a choice between 42, Epic, and After Earth, all movies I haven't seen, but was curious.  Then I decided to take my Grandma with me, and my brother Steven recommended I see Ephraim's Rescue with her.  For that we're both glad.

I don't have any early LDS pioneer heritage.  Every single one of my grandparents joined the church in the late 1950's early 1960's.  Because of that I always felt a little disjointed towards Church History.  All my church friends growing up had pioneer ancestry.  When Pioneer Day rolled around each year, every July 24, they shared stories and I felt a little left out.  I deeply appreciate the early Saints, naturally, but never felt truly connected.  Those sentiments have changed now that I'm older.  My Grandparents are pioneers, with their own struggles and miracles, persecutions, trials of faith, etc.  But then aren't we all pioneers with our own stories and unique circumstances?

One of the few moments in Church History that did stay with me was that of the Martin and Willie Handcart companies.  Stories of the English Saints who gave up everything to sail across the sea and walk to Utah in the dead of Winter, some with no shoes, have stayed in my memory.  The horrors; the Miracles.  They may not be my blood relatives, but that doesn't matter. They were trailblazers.  Faith paramount.  Amazing.  I think of my life and the many times I've dealt with anti-Mormon bigotry in California, but what is that compared to them?  Nothing.  Through the harshest of circumstance they endured.

Faith precedes the miracle.  

I wouldn't have what I have if they weren't first courageous.

Was the movie perfect?  No, there were flaws, but that's not what I took from the film.  In Ephraim Hank's I saw a man who was reckless in his youth, but easily touched by the spirit regardless.  In him I saw Alma the younger, the sons of Mosiah, Amulek, and Zeezrom (my favorite people in the Book of Mormon.  Men who were not perfect, who sinned, but allowed the atonement of Christ to fully work in their lives, and then became faithful servant's, facing danger in unknown territories to follow and teach of Chirst, the coming Messiah.  Amulek is my particular favorite.  I'm off topic!)

I felt my heart touched while watching the film, my testimony strengthened.  Thankful to live in this modern era, to know that God loves us, and is mindful of us as he was with those in the old World (biblical times) and the early inhabitants of this promised land.  That we still live in a time of covenants, temple blessings, prophets, and apostles.  That every living man who is worthy can hold the priesthood, not just the descendents of the tribe of Levi.  And even though, as a Women, I can't hold the priesthood, no priesthood blessing is withheld from me.   How great is his love?  How great is Gods mercy?  Infinite.   

The character and strength of the LDS Pioneers is a great blessing.  To them I will always be thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment