Sunday, September 4, 2022

I Didn't Mean To Binge That Korean Drama... :\

So my Mom is officially addicted to K-Drama's. It started near the start of the year. (Time is moving so fast I can't quite remember!) And since then she's watched several drama's. My sister-in-law Lindsay has been into K-Drama's for quite a while now, and both her and Robbie watch a bunch together. For my Mom's birthday they got her "Goblin: The Lonely and Great God." Elsewhere I've seen the drama called "Guardian."

Anywho! She loved it! I didn't watch it with her. Some drama's we've watched together, but mostly I'll watch the first part, go do stuff, and come back to watch the last few episodes. Only a few drama's I've seen in their entirety. 

Well, she's been begging me to watch Goblin with her. She loves the drama so much she even got the CD album off Amazon. Heh, well, after weeks and weeks I finally started watching it with her last week. And I was determined only to watch two episodes a day. No bingeing allowed! This lasted a few days. 0_0 Started with six episodes spread between three days. Then the plot just got so juicy... and I watched six episodes in one day... and the last four episodes the last day.

Dang it! :P Honestly, the drama is really good. It gets into spiritual beliefs with reincarnation, the tea ceremony before passing to the next life, spirits that dwindle before moving on, the gods among them all, and the Goblin cursed with immortality. The topic is interesting. But what was truly captivating were the characters, plots, development, and great casting. 

It's been fun watching different Korean drama's. There's definitely tropes and patterns in the stories whether they're stories of rich heirs or idols. Senior year high school girls dating older and suddenly becoming homeless happens a lot. It's all fun, and I like the concise stories.

Also, I've been digging a little into K-Pop. For about 20 years I've listened to BoA who's Korean and has both Japanese and Korean music. But this whole idol group dynamic in Korean music is just a whole thing altogether.  It's a little crazy. Stumbled upon Girl Generation and Twice within the last few weeks, two major girl groups in Korea. I like Twice's latest mini album and picked it up at Target. Korean music CD packages are another beast on their own. They come with different version with photo booklets and randomly given photo cards, and other do-dads. People will collect sets of the same album, with different packaging, just to collect and trade the cards! Plus getting the different photo books.  It's crazy, but a really creative way to sell so many albums... to the same people.

Anywho... Hope you're having a great day!

Sarah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment