Wednesday, September 14, 2022

I Turned Antique Coins Pink!!!


I feel so foolish!!!

So, I've been getting into board games. And one of the fun things to do with board games is bling them up. Metal coins. Wooden meeple upgrades. Stickers. 3D printed assets or figures. Etc. Etc. Etc. So many possibilities.

Many months ago, as in before the end of last year... :\ ... I got Obsession. A game about Victorian romance. I haven't learned how to play it, but so many people online rave how fun it is. On Board Game Geek the game has an 8.3 rating. That's REALLY high
 
So, before even learning how to play with it I thought it would be nice to upgrade to metal coins. Well, no gaming coins fit, and the set many people buy for this game was sold out. If gaming coins can't be found, why not use authentic British coins instead? Onto Ebay I went, and found pences and shillings. Why not?

The problem with old coins is that they're dirty and smell. Why not clean them?!! (Which all coin collectors shudder at, because that diminishes their value). I found a vinegar and salt technique. The instructions said not to use a glass bowl, as plastic is better. What did I do? Use a glass bowl. And then left the coins in the solution for nearly an hour!!!

They turned pink!!!!!  The sides pressed against the glass were the most pink!!!! I ruined antique coins. Some of theses coins lived through WWII. They survived a World War, amongst other things, and in 2022 I turned them pink! How pathetic is that??!! 

That just made me really depressed, for months, until I watched a Chateau Dairies episode on YT where a jar of three pence coins were found, which are the coins I turned pink.  So I went to Ebay and bought another set.

And I vow never to clean these. Let them be.


Though check out how clean and shiny this 1944 coin is! So pretty.

Oh the stories these coins can tell.

Sarah :0)

(I really need to learn how to play that game... :\ )

(Heh, I honestly have a lot of games I need to learn how to play... ehhhh..... but my shelf of shame is really pretty. Though the games I have sat down to learn have been fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment