Sunday, November 7, 2021

The Miracle with My Grandpa's Dog

My Grandpa passed in 2018, but before doing so he had a super loyal dog named Ginger.  She was a dachshund/Chihuahua mix, golden in color.  Long body with a small little face.

My Grandpa adopted her, and she was traumatized by her first owner who was abusive.  For the first few years her fear was apparent at times, freezing and shaking, but as time progressed she eased and relaxed.

Ginger was a good dog, perfect for my Grandfather, but there was a problem.  She was the kind of dog that was fantastic with elderly people, but not at all good with kids.  My nieces and nephew were quite young, and when there were adults around Ginger minded herself.  When there were no adults around she ran and barked furiously at the kids, and as the kids ran into the house their faces were full of terror.  Thanks to Ginger the kids became scared of all dogs.

I don't blame Ginger for this, as all dogs are different, and we don't know her previous experiences.  Honestly I was upset with her at times as I'm super protective of the kiddos.  It did pose a problem, though, for when my Grandpa would pass.  We couldn't keep her, but we didn't know who to give her to.  The pound was out of the question, as were other places.  But we were afraid to take her to an adoption place, for worry she'd get adopted by a family with kids.  Ginger needed an elderly couple, but how could we go about finding a good fit for her? 

A couple days after my Grandpa passed, my Dad was playing and watching her in the backyard.  Then, while my Dad was looking in the other direction, Ginger ran away and squeezed through a gap in the fence.  She escaped and my Dad couldn't catch her.  She never tried escaping before, so it was odd.

We didn't know what happened to her.  Feared the worse.  But after about two weeks we got a call.  Ginger ran several blocks, and as she was crossing a major road with a lot of traffic, an elderly man rescued her.  For over a week he couldn't get close to Ginger to see her tag, but she finally let him read the tag for our phone number.

We did get Ginger back for a few days, but called the man back, asking if he would like to take Ginger.  He lived with his sister, both single, and they already had two other dogs.  It seemed like a long shot, but perfect.  He gladly agreed, and his sister claimed Ginger as her own, as the other dogs were her brothers.  Ginger found the perfect family with two dogs she got along well with.  Playmates, which she hadn't had, but needed.

God works in mysterious ways.  Prayers are answered, sometimes quietly, so quietly we may miss them, but sometimes prayers are answered so loudly they refused to be missed.  Signatures from the Lord bright and bold.

I'd like to think it was my Grandpa guiding and protecting Ginger to this family, as he was super worried about her fate.   

Every now and then I see Ginger out on a walk, and she's happy.  Living a full life as a loyal companion.

Hope you're having a great week!!

Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment