Monday, May 31, 2021

Somber Thoughts

I was going to share a war sonnet I wrote in High School, circa March 3, 2000 while in ceramics.  Typed the whole thing out, after searching through folders and papers to find it, only to delete what was written.  During ceramics I didn't have to work on the potters wheel, as I had cut my finger the period before while making book covers as a library aid.  It's a sonnet of a fallen soldier dying on the battlefield.  After starring at the screen, reading over the lines, it didn't seem right to share it

Memorial Day is a day to honor the brave who have fallen in war.  Veterans Day is for those who once served, but are no longer in the armed forces.  Whereas Armed Forces Day are for those still serving.

Those who cry from the dust cannot hear our thanks.  I pray they are at peace now.  We celebrate them, but do they see?  I hope so.  My belief in an afterlife is strong, but we only get glimpses on this side of the veil.  Those who pass do see and love us still.  And I'd like to think our ancestors are aware of us and cheering us on.  Loving and giving us support, even when we can't see or feel them, during moments when we get too caught up in this world.

To those who have served and passed, I don't understand everything between heaven and Earth, but in this little prayer I give thanks.  Thank you for your bravery.  Thank you for your sacrifice.  For your courage.  Thank you for answering the call and standing up for what is right.  Thank you for the freedoms I now enjoy and pray will never die.  Thank you.

We have so much to be thankful for.  We take so much for granted.  Those who have lived short lives gave us far more than we can ever comprehend.  What are we doing?  What have we learned?

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment