Friday, May 7, 2021

Learning From Flowers

"Learn from the Flowers.  Everyday is a new opportunity to experience, to grow toward the light."

~ Unknown (from my wall calendar)

I'm in such a Spring mood!! :D

But really, this is a nice quote.  Spring always amazes me.  Maybe a part of it is living where we have four seasons.  In California we sorta get a semblance of Winter, but not like here in Utah where it snows and everything dies.  Flies and ants seem to hibernate (sigh, the ant killing season has officially begin).  Now everything is warming up.  No more bundling up and breathing like dragons in the frigid air.  (Though, granted, breathing like dragons is really cool).

Last year during all the crazy I started buying potted plants, one of which was a purple hyacinths.  It was medium height and the instructions stated to turn the pot a quarter everyday.  Well, I got the flower all situated that first night, and the next morning I woke up to see the flower completely bent over, the top of the plant stretching for the gap in the curtains.  It was dark, yet the flower remembered where to find the light.  It was desperate for the light.  I completely turned the flower 180, hoping it could pull itself up, and it tried.  The next several days the top of the hyacinths curled up, but it never recovered.

It was sad seeing the hyacinths struggle, but it was touching as well, seeing the flower crave the light, and it reminded me to look more closely to the light as well.

Yesterday I went with my family to an exhibit in Salt Lake City, which I haven't visited since 2019.  On the way home I had the window down and the light on my face and arm.  Usually I avoid the light due to sunburns, but yesterday I needed it.  I needed to feel the light.  Feel its warmth.  Amazingly I didn't burn.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment