Thursday, May 27, 2021

Early Morning Sunrise


It's funny how strange certain things are when you've grown up living with other things.  For instance: Sunsets over the ocean.  That's what I grew up with.  Driving along the California coast, in various locations throughout my life, to catch the sunset.

Ocean sunsets are beautiful with sprayed pinks and purples coloring ocean and sky, the sun casually dipping below the waved horizon.

For some reason it never occurred to me that those living on the East coast of the United States didn't enjoy this pleasure (well, maybe Florida?).  Why had it never occurred to me?!!  I simply never thought of it.  But last March, completely spontaneously, my Mom and I drove the 6+ hours (which Google Maps said would take 4 hrs) to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

We found vacancy in an upper room hotel, facing the ocean, and that next morning I awoke before 6 am to watch the sunrise.  It was fun watching people casually stroll along the shoreline, family and friends huddled together.  

The sunrise itself was quite beautiful, and different than the ocean sunsets of my youth.  Morning light vs. evening light will always be a wonder.  The ocean and beach relaxing and calm, the surf calling for quiet simplicity.

Definitely a gift and joy I'll never forget,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment