Saturday, February 8, 2020

My Sticky Egg Situation at Tokyo DisneySea: Good Information for Those with Food Allergies/Intolerance


So, in the last few years I realized that I have an egg intolerance.  It's not full blown allergies as I can have eggs baked into things, and if I haven't had eggs in awhile a little egg won't give me pain mixed with other issues.  So no eggs boiled, fried, scrambled, quiches, etc.  Since I've stopped eating whole eggs my health has improved greatly.  And sadly I've probably been dealing with this since Middle School, but never made the connection until recently.  Getting nauseous after eating eggs should have been a big giveaway, among other things, I just didn't want to give them up.  I really, really love eggs.

Thanks to having an egg intolerance traveling can be a little difficult, especially breakfast.  And since I visited the Tokyo Disney parks in April, several items had eggs.

This is where it got interesting:

I'm at Tokyo DisneySea with my Mom.  Steven and Ty entered the park earlier than us and were elsewhere.  My Mom and I decided to get something to eat as it was around noon and we didn't have breakfast.  The Deli in the New York section of the park isn't too far from the entrance, and I love a good sandwich, so we headed there first.  While ordering I was getting confused with which sandwiches had eggs verses the ones that didn't, and I made the mistake of saying I have an egg allergy.

Suddenly everything went crazy!  I had to wait for an employee to come help navigate the menu, and this nice lady brought a tablet.  Honestly, it was impressive.  She could access every item served and what was in it.  Where it got lost in translation was explaining that I can have mayonnaise.  But then she would say, "It has eggs!"  No matter what I said, in broken Japanese, I couldn't convey the fact that mayonnaise was okay.  And we were in a deli, everything had mayonnaise, and they wouldn't let me order.

My brother Steven came, who knows Japanese, and still nothing.  After fifteen plus minutes I was allowed to order a Reuben without the mayonnaise.  After we got the order my Mom asked for a side of mayonnaise and I put it on out of sight.

It was a little frustrating, but honestly it was really nice seeing a place completely open and willing to help those with food allergies.  If you ever have an issue with dietary needs, know that the Tokyo Disney Parks are fully ready to help.  Just, heh, if you have an intolerance verses an allergy you might just want to skate around the issue.  I learned this the hard way.  For the rest of the trip I purposely made sure I ordered things that didn't have egg, or where the egg was easily removable.  Lesson learned.  But it was nice seeing how prepared they were, and so willing to help.

And the Reuben, after taking the sauerkraut out, was really good.





What my Mom ordered.





No comments:

Post a Comment