Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Knives Out, movie review


Rating: B

Growing up Clue was one of my favorite board games.  It was a race between family and friends on who can solve the murder mystery in as few rounds as possible.  Later in high school I was introduced to the Clue movie in all its kookiness.  Knives Out is a murder mystery full of suspense and subtle humor.  A Clue for modern audiences with Agatha Christie style fun.

The patriarch of the family Harlan Thrombey, played by Christopher Plummer, is found dead, the holder of a great fortune.  His family gather like vultures, eager to pick out leftovers, hoping to benefit from a great inheritance.  When it is discovered that Marta, Harlan's nurse, played by Ana de Armas, who isn't a member of the family, is the sole recipient of the inheritance, mayhem and chaos ensues within the family.  It is up to detective Benoit Blanc, played by Daniel Craig, to sort everything out.

Knives out is written and directed by Rian Johnson, who also wrote Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  Don't really want to get into it as I've already blogged about my Star Wars grievances, but I almost boycotted Knives Out over the fact, still upset over what happened with Luke Skywalker.  The thought kept going through my mind while watching this new murder mystery, trying to separate Johnson's previous work with this new film.  Hold it towards its own merits.  Honestly, I ended up liking Knives Out.

The less I say the better, as the plot is wrapped up in guessing, and the more I reveal the less fun you'll have watching this movie.  Usually I'm pretty good at guessing where such movie mysteries will end up, there's still some fun twists and turns throughout this movie filled with quirky characters.

When it comes down to it I did have fun.  My brother Steven and Dad were talking a few days ago, going over their favorite parts and excited that Knives Out is soon coming to DVD/Blu-ray. 

And honestly I've just ran out of things to say, because I hate spoiling things, and I just don't feel like being flowery with words.  If you haven't seen it yet and love mysteries, you'll enjoy it.  Johnson put out a good movie, so I'll give him kudos.  Credit where credit is due.  And with that I bid adieu.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for thematic elements including brief violence, some strong language, sexual references, and drug material.

No comments:

Post a Comment