Sunday, September 8, 2019

Wisdom From a 15 Year Old Self


This last week my Mom tackled the garage which was buried in stuff during the renovations, but also when we cleaned out my Grandpa's storage unit.  So many things, including all my sheet music and jazz books that I haven't had access to for over a year and a half.  They're found!  And I'm going to get back to playing the piano.  I'm so rusty!  Nervous about it.  But I'm ready.

I also found a bin of some of my old things, things I haven't seen in years.  Lots of papers from school.  Toys I collected and still need to go through.  And I found this letter written when I was 15.  It's full of so many hopes and dreams.  Wishes and goals.  And my 37 year old self shattered a little while reading it.  Sometimes not knowing the future is good.  What would my young self think of me now?  I'm not a bad person or anything; I'm just not at all where I thought I would be.  But after listing my hopes for the future, marriage and all that, I gave myself some advice.  And my present self can relearn a few things from my past self.

(I fixed the spelling for readability.)

"I have so many dreams, and they have always been strong.  I hope they're still strong, maybe even stronger!  Remember to love, stay humble, and have unconditional love towards everyone.  I don't know what my future holds, but remember to love your enemy's, and people who persecute and hate you.  Time heals pain, and truth will set you free.  Face life with a smile, and look to people with understanding.  Here's to the future, my family, and dreams.  Keep dreaming, and let your imagination take wing.  Here's to love, life, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Remember to stay strong in the Gospel, read the scriptures, and read my patriarchal blessing.  Don't forget these hope's and dreams.  Remember this past, enjoy the present, and look to the future in faith."

I will take my young advice and begin dreaming and doing again.


2 comments:

  1. I was amazed at the time at how your fifteen year old self was so in tune with the spirit, so full of dreams and plans, and so focused on what you wanted to do and be. I am still amazed that you really did become a singer, that you really are navigating the world of popular music composition, and that you continue to seek and follow inspiration through all the unexpected turns in life. You are a dreamer, and your dreams inspire. Thanks, friend! (I've opened letters to myself, and they've been pretty inane and meaningless. Oh well.)

    ReplyDelete