Sunday, September 1, 2019

I'm so glad I'm not into BYU Football


I'm so glad I'm not into BYU Football.

BYU's my alma mater.  It was a stressful good time.  But while attending I never went to a football game, though that's all that seemed to be spoken of on campus.  Football, football, football.  (Kinda having a Brandy Bunch moment.)

I wasn't into Football in High school as well.  Only went to two games in which I worked on drawing homework at one game and got to help film for the local TV station at the other.  Turns out I really enjoy football when I have to keep the ball in frame, especially while it's soaring through the air.  Actually, that was a lot of fun.  The only BYU game I attended I didn't see, because I was volunteering at concessions helping to raise money for the Boy Scouts.

The whole BYU VS U of U game seems to be the ONLY game that maters in these parts.  I'm so out of the loop I didn't even know it was happening until I heard the radio dude last Thursday warn about evening traffic due to the game.  Avoid Provo.  Done.

The year I graduated from BYU is one of the last times BYU won against U of U.  The school was so over joyous that a group of students pantomimed the winning play during the graduation ceremony.  Everyone screamed and cheered!  I laughed as I ate a free mint chocolate brownie.  They were having fun.  That's good.

I didn't even know BYU lost to U of U these last eight years!  Last Thursday eight losses turned to nine!

30-12.  U of U won with 30 points.  A nasty thunder storm moved through the valley that night.  I wondered how the game was going, but didn't think beyond that and headed to bed.  Turns out the game was paused for an hour and finished up past midnight after the storm finished raging.

I don't know.  I don't know why I'm just not into sports.  Tried getting into soccer, but found it rather boring.  It's literally possible for no team to score a point in 90 minutes, everyone just running back and forth getting flagged or whatever.

What it comes down to is that I just want the best team to win.  If the winning team played the better, ethical game showing true talent and strategy, they deserve to win.  I can't be mad over that.  And if the team I'm suppose to cheer for rightfully loses, that's how it is.  They deserve it.  Work harder and smarter.  I do admire the strength and resilience displayed by those who play sports, but I just can't get behind a team. 

Maybe I just don't like blind loyalty.  And I don't want to be told who I must be loyal towards.

Funny enough, a few days later I'm still seeing BYU/U of U football memes on Facebook, mainly bashing BYU.  I have friends on both sides of the aisle.  Hope they enjoyed the game.  Maybe one of these years I'll actually go to one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment