Sunday, August 26, 2018

Give Me a World and I Shall Live, an original poem, and other doodads

(15 yrs. old, The Fantasticks)

(Written nearly 2 decades ago, sometime when I was 17 or 18.)

Sonnet VIII

Give me a World and I shall live.  Wrap me
up in the land of fantasy.  Beyond
the words and stage are my dreams, and I long
for this reality.  Please, let me see
where imagination has no borders.
Where I have no limits.  Where I am free.
Give me this World, let me escape to be
all that I could wish to be, forever.
Illuminated saw dust tickles my
nose as I stare beyond lights.  Sweet voices
of laughter and love surrounds and rejoice.
And I stand, waiting, breathing, as I fly.
Excitement lingers through all of my soul.
All of my heart sings as I lose control.

~ Sarah Stufflebeam

(I did tweak the words a little.)

I went through a Sonnet writing phase when I was in High School.  Since then I haven't written any, but I found this one and a few others, not all sadly, while sorting through old papers.  It brings back memories.  I haven't performed in a play since college.  Mainly all of my performances have been through chorus, some vocal solos, and the handful of videos online.  Honestly I miss it.  This was my passion when I was younger.  I craved the stage.  Begged my parents to do community theater.  Tried out whenever I could.  Kinda miss the hunger.

 (Kindergarten)

 One of my first performances was when I was in Kindergarten.  I don't remember it, though my Mom said I had the lead, memorized all the lines, and told the kids their lines when they forgot.  Totally was that kind of kid.

I do remember the Christmas performance when I was in Kindergarten, mainly because it was performed in the auditorium.  I memorized all those parts as well and would get my brothers and friends to perform the play in the backyard as I directed.

The very first time I was on stage was when I was four, a dance recital, and I remember every detail. It was a series of moments that woke my spirit. Totally electrifying.

(7th Grade)

The last dance recital I was in was the 7th grade.

Honestly, I haven't been to dance in a year.  I've talked with my dance teacher and even pre-paid several months for the Fall, so I'm committed to get back into it.  I also want to get back into music and doing videos.  That's more of an early next year thing.  I'm going to start learning the guitar, got a video program I'm going to work through, and buckle down on understanding the music software.

Oh, and the VR game my brothers and I have worked on is close to an update.  I'm waiting for the game to get to a certain point, and for other projects to get going, before I talk about it in full. It's a process.

It's good to remember our past and past dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment