Thursday, August 23, 2018

Caught in the Rain


"Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet."
~ Roger Miller

Last night, around dusk, I decided to take a little walk.

The temperature was perfect, cool air mixed with warm bursts.  The rain was light, sprinkle like.  Who needs an umbrella when a cap will do?  Flashes of lightning bounced around the upper clouds, bolts hidden.  People were out playing, enjoying the weather, ignoring the thunder.

I sought cover as I battled a Pokemon Raid. (Okay, that's why I really went out, mainly because I'm trying to get Mew, and I'm super close.  Why am I suddenly embarrassed to admit this?  Eh . . .)

As I stood, enjoying the increasing wind, I noticed a cloud of rain inching forward along the mountain with great speed.  This wasn't troubling at all.  I was fascinated.  The lightning flashes followed by thunder were quickly aligning.  The rain pummeling to the ground.  Those who were out were running for shelter.  I realized then that I needed to do the same.

I couldn't run as I was wearing slippery flip-flops.  So I briskly walked, mental chatter questioning my sanity.  At a cross walk I realized that it was probably not a good idea to stand next to tall metal polls. I started wondering what would happen if lightning struck a tree.  Then I realized that if I was struck by lighting I totally deserved it for being so stupid.

Needless to say, I wasn't scared at all, merely energized.

As soon as I got home, soaked, the heavens opened and it seemed as if a monsoon hit.  There was so much wind, hail, and rain.  My Mom was outside grilling steaks.  I ran to grab the umbrella's and my youngest brother helped her as she opened the grill.  Every time it rains hard the roof in the sun-room leaks, so we were grabbing bowls and pushing away a couch that got wet.  We found humor in it.

 There was a lull in the storm where the sun came out, illuminating a soft rainbow.  The air was crisp. There's been so much fire smoke this last month.  Any reprieve is nice.  Then it started raining like crazy again.

I hope the rain helped the local fires and that lightning didn't start any new blazes.  A lightning storm is nice, but there's always that worry.

Still, I love a good storm and a stroll through the rain.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment