Sunday, December 20, 2015

Tokyo Skytree, Seeing Tokyo City in the Most Amazing Way, Final Stop on Day 5, Japan


On October 8th my brother Michael, sister-in-law Krista, and I spent a wonderful day visiting Meiji Shrine and Asakusa.

Our final stop on our last full day in Japan was the Tokyo Skytree.

The Skytree is so incredibly tall.

On our first day, just after landing in Japan, I remember quite vividly seeing the Skytree as we took the bus which ran along the Ocean.  Even at that distance the SkyTree stood tall and magnificent.  It's hard to explain just how tall it is, like a giant tooth pick.  That's what I thought.

When we got to the tower the elevators going up were closed due to wind. They were letting only a few people go up.  The line to buy Skytree tickets was about an hour standstill.  We contemplated not going up at all, because there was a chance we would get stuck up there, at least from what we gathered. All the announcements were in Japanese.

Finally the line started to move and we went for it.  We bought the tickets and I'm so glad we did.  The view was magnificent.

We saw a brilliant silhouette of Mount Fuji, aka Fuji-san.  It was amazing looking over Tokyo, seeing what we visited verses what we couldn't, like Tokyo Tower.  And down below was Asakusa: clear, vivid, and small.  We watched daylight turn to sunset turn to dusk turn to night.  The lights of the city slowly turning on.  What an incredible sight.  What an amazing way to end our trip.


The Halloween decorations next to the ticket line.


Getting ready to go up!

I was so amazed at how smooth the elevators were.  I didn't even realize we were moving until I saw the screen display our height.  And the ear popping from the quick pressure change!!  I forced myself to yawn nonstop to get my ears to unplug.  Next time, if I'm able to go again, I'm chewing gum.








More Halloween decorations.



The Buddhist temple we were at in Asakusa just a few hours before.






The amazing silhouette of Mt. Fuji.  I'm so glad we got to see it!





I remember driving by that giant Ferris wheel all lit up on our first day, which means I went over that bridge.  It really was fun experiencing the Tokyo highway system.  There were so many toll sections we had to pass through!


Looking down!



The city at dusk.


Tokyo Tower in the distance.


Asakusa with the lights coming on.



Heading up to the top observatory deck.





Taking in the last amazing views of Tokyo.


(Photos by Michael and Sarah Stufflebeam)

No comments:

Post a Comment