Monday, December 14, 2015

Asakusa, Kaminarimon gate and Senso-ji Temple, Japan Day 5, Part 2


 The second stop on this Thursday with my brother and sister-in-law, October 8th, was to see the Kaminarimon gate and Senso-ji Temple in Asakusa.  We took the Ginza metro line from Shibuya to Asakusa, which was our first time taking the subway.

It seemed each station we stopped at had it's own theme music; one stop had heavy organ music which was very Halloween appropriate.



 The grounds surrounding the shrine were quite impressive.  I was excited to see the famous large entrance gate and Japanese pagoda.





 We got our fortunes by shaking a stick out of a large metal cylinder.



 I got a bad omen which meant I had to get rid of it by tying it on a line and then trying again.





 There are vending machines everywhere!

Honestly, this is pretty awesome.  So many yummy flavors between 100 to 150 yen.


 As we left we walked through the Nakamise Shopping Street.  Japanese school children stopped us to practice English, and we were rewarded with green tea.  I was so caught up with helping them with their English I responded entirely with English, which in hindsight was probably good practice for them, but not good practice for me in speaking Japanese.  I told them "That's Good" instead of "ii desu."  And I could have said "wakarimasu" for "I understand."  Heh, this happened a bit on the trip.  I did use Japanese to ask questions and I understood the answers at times, but a lot of times I would walk away from a situation thinking "dang it!"  Because I could have said a little something in Japanese!  That's why I was in Japan!  Well, that and being able to experience the culture, though I totally failed when it came to eating Japanese food.




Krista and I holding up our green tea.  We don't drink it, naturally, being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but we graciously took the packets with a smile.  The children were so sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment