Friday, December 18, 2015

Star Wars The Force Awakens, mini movie review


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I have spent the last several months avoiding every single spoiler, theory, and new trailer with new images for Star Wars The Force Awakens, episode VII in the 38 year long running Star Wars movie history, starting with Episode IV, A New Hope, in 1977.  I've been a fan of the Star Wars series since elementary school, waiting desperately to find out what happens with Luke, Leia, and Han Solo.  When I discovered Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zhan, the book that launched the Star Wars Extended Universe and truly made me an avid reader, influencing my life just as much as Star Wars episode IV and V, that became my episode VII.  Then it was announced when I was in High School that there would be a new Trilogy.  Excited I was.  Stoked I had been, until I found out the trilogy would be episodes I, II, and III, instead of episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

I don't need to remind everyone who saw The Phantom Menace in 1999 the great disappointment that movie was.  The hype was tremendous.  And I remember the overall "What the crap was that?" feeling that overcame me when the credits rolled.  The stunned silence of the audience is an experience I'll never forget.  (Jar Jar Binks = 'nuff said.)

For this movie, which I've been waiting a long 22 years for, I wanted to go completely spoiler free.  I wanted to be completely surprised.  My Dad shared the same sentiment as I, not even wanting to hear the fresh tomato rating, which I looked at during a moment of weakness.

And I know many others don't want spoilers, either.

So I'm not going to spoil anything, because you really need to experience this movie for yourself.

All I'll say is I liked this movie.

I saw it twice today, though the second time was because half my family got tickets spontaneously for the next showing, and I went for a second ride, though I really wanted a little more distance between showings.  But I'll see it again soon, maybe even splurging on D-Box.

In 2 to 3 weeks I'm going to write another review laced with spoilers, but I want to wait for all my friends to see this movie first.  It gives me time to re-read Heir to the Empire and see the movie once or twice more.

But I will ask this, am I the only one who cried when, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . ." came on the screen, followed by the yellow epilogue?  I was totally crying, trying to hold back tears.

And am I the only one who thought those round explosives towards the end of the movie look like really cool Pokeballs?

Really important questions.

Have fun at the movies!

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for sci-fi action violence.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment