Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Wisdom in Our Subconscious: Slamming unopened Doors


This last week I've been organizing my ideas.  Years of jotted down one liners, lyrics, and inspiration have been stuffed into my file cabinet, only to end up forgotten.  It's been quite a task, much larger then I first anticipated.

In the midst of these written down ramblings I stumbled upon a piece of wisdom.  It was a story idea I once had, and in this scene one character is giving relationship advice to another.  I wish I could remember the full context.

"Don't fill yourself with self doubt.  Don't tell yourself you're not good enough or worthy enough.  And don't tell yourself that he will never like you or care for you.  You don't know, and such things are unpredictable.  You may fill your head with an ideal of him, and who he can be with you.  And in the end it may turn out to be an empty ideal.  But you need to take that step forward.  Don't slam the door before you've had a chance to open it."

That's what struck me: Don't slam the door before you've had a chance to open it.

How true is that?

How often do we slam doors before we've even opened or walked up to it?  How often do we look at a door and then walk away? Symbolically of course.

I don't know where my subconscious found this wisdom,
but it's my deep self speaking to me.

I need to stop slamming doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment