Wednesday, April 22, 2015

No More Movie Reviews


(Edit @ 3:00 pm: I'm contemplating the idea of doing mini movie reviews that are no longer then 2 paragraphs.  Short, Sweet, with none of the Hundred Acre Wood Owl Syndrome. (I made that syndrome up, but it should totally be a real thing.)  This Saturday I'm writing "Age of Adaline" as a trial run, and then next week I'll mini review Avengers: Age of Ultron.  I may like the new format and keep doing that.)

I've made an important decision towards my blog: I will no longer be reviewing movies, which has become a staple.  There's a few reasons for this, one of the main reasons being money.  It costs a lot of money to go to the movies!  But the main reason is because going to the movies has always been one of my favorite hobbies, and there's a certain joy about going to the movies that I've lost.

It's funny, because a month ago I was contemplating starting a new blog that focused entirely on movie reviews, so I can keep this blog a little more personal and work related (Talea Studios/Cerulean Jade).  I was going to call it "Boffo or Not: Movie Reviews," which is a title I still would like to use at some point, maybe.

Over the weekend I saw Black or White starring Kevin Costner at the dollar theater, really good, and it was so nice sitting there, able to engage without the thoughts of "I should write about this plot point" "Maybe I should start this review by tying in this fact," etc.  I've become more focused on the essay I was about to write, then enjoying the actual movie.  Like school all over again.  The joy was gone.  And this started March of 2014, because there's still movies that month I prepared and was all set up to write, but when I sat at my laptop I just couldn't do it.

Another reason I started writing the reviews was so that I could put into words an analysis of what I was experience and thinking.  Ultimately I want to be a published author.  I want to see musicals on stage where I did the book (script), music, arrangement, and lyrics.  Maybe I'll one day be apart of a theatrical movie release, though I think it would be cooler to see my sci-fi idea turned into a 26 episode Japanese anime.

I've come to the point where I'm tired of watching other people live their dreams and create.  I want to start focusing on my own stories.  Yes, I'm going to keep going to the movies.  I can't wait for The Age of Adaline and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

But really, I've achieved what I wanted with these reviews.  I've learned a lot.  This has always been a hobby.  And now I can stop stressing if I can't see a certain movie opening weekend, or being upset with myself for taking two weeks to write a review, or simply not getting a review out at all.

It's been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment