Thursday, September 11, 2014

Salt Lake Comic Con Day 3


 My last day at the Salt Lake Comic Con started off amazingly.


I've literally waited years to experience this concert, and the wait was well worth it.  This show was beyond everything I imagined, and being there live is beyond what I can explain.

Lights, video, interaction, etc.

Usually when you attend the Symphony there's decorum.  Rules.  Etiquette.  There are only certain places you're allowed to applaud, after all.  Don't be the weirdo who claps in the middle of a movement.

But with Video Games Live you're allowed to clap and cheer whenever you feel moved, and there was A LOT of clapping and cheering going on, especially during favorite games.

I cried through the whole of it!!  Especially during the Kingdom Hearts.

I started crying before the concert began.  (I'm not joking.  A couple tears went down my face.)

And the Skyrim segment was so well done.  I couldn't help but think of my Dad, who would have LOVED this concert!!!!!, but decided back in May not to get a ticket.  He was addicted to Skyrim for the LONGEST time.  The game that will not end . . . heh.  But seriously, I'm dragging my Dad to this concert next year.

The Snow College choir sang, and at first my family laughed (sorry, we did) when we heard that they were singing, but they were Incredible.  Awesome bass section.  In an area surrounded by so many Universities (U of U, BYU, UVU) within 40 mile, Snow College is a 2 year college in Ephraim Utah, out in the middle of no where, about 122 miles from SLC.

The choir was Phenomenal.

And the soloist was amazing, too.

Honestly, I wish more people were aware of how amazing Game Music is.


 At the Evermore section.  Heh, I look more happy then scared.




 Steven with Heather Theurer, the amazing Fantasy artist, who has also painted some amazing Disney portraits.  They're worth checking out on her site.  Apparently the Merida painting was amazing in person, unfortunately it was sold out before I had a chance to see it.  I would love to own the Lilo and Stitch painting.  So cute.



He's an Incredible Fantasy writer.

(I recommend Elantris and Warbreaker, though I hear Mistborn is amazing, I just haven't read it yet . . . ).  He's an expert at creating unique magic systems.

I first found out about Brandon before he was even published.  While working on his masters at BYU, he was rooming with a few guys a couple blocks from where I live.  He didn't attend the YSA (Young Single Adult) ward I was going to, but his roommates did, and when some of his friends in the ward found out how much I love fantasy, they told me about Brandon.  So when Elantris was published, I went to the BYU library and found out every copy of the book was checked out, except his master thesis copy of Elantris, so I checked that out.  Didn't get all the little pictures, but it was really interesting.

And FYI, when he talks about a local church group service auction, in which cans of food were used as auction payment, during the annotations of Warbreaker, I was there.  (It was super surreal reading an event in a book I was actually present for.  Brandon put up as auction the opportunity to have a character in one of his books named after you.  That would have been fun :0)



 Disney Cosplayers right outside the Disney Store.  They totally went inside after this picture was taken.



A video to remind you what 2015 is supposed to look like, in case you forgot.


 The Batmobile!


 Kids shooting at Storm Troopers :0)

It's a great way to pass the afternoon.


 I geeked out over this recreation of Bilbo's Contract from the Hobbit.


 Beware the Orcs.




 More LEGO's, just for fun.


Comic Con was fun.  I wish I made it to more panels.  And I hope the Con works on it's efficiency next year when it comes to managing all the people and the registration line.  Far from perfect, but a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment