Monday, February 10, 2014

The Lego Movie: Movie Review


Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

"Everything is awesome!
  Everything is cool when your part of a team.
Everything is awesome!
When we're living our dream."

Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't made The Lego Movie sooner.

Lego has become a staple in the video game world with titles such as Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings to name a few, each known for their fun game play and quirky humor.  They're fantastic.  So when I found out there was going to be a movie, and could tell through the trailers that the Lego humor was there, I knew this movie was going to be a winner.

It is a Winner.  A winner full of Awesomeness.

Emmet () is your typical go lucky guy.  He's an excellent enthusiast, but that's just about it.  No original thought in that brain of his.  Common and ordinary, only he's the key part of a prophesy given years earlier by the wizard Vitruvius ().  It's said Emmet's the great Master Builder who will overthrow Lord Business ().  Now Emmet's along for the ride, eagerly ready to prove he's extraordinary.

Cameos abound in The Lego Movie.  There's the obvious D.C. super hero's, complete with hilarious inside jokes, Abe Lincoln, Shaq, etc, etc, etc . . . bounteous et ceteras, some of which I will not name for the shear fun of the surprise.  This movie finds a way to blend all these cameos together, and not once does this film fill overcrowded.  It just seems so natural seeing all these characters together.

And the animation is brilliant.  I thought it was stop motion animation, but then I read somewhere that it's computer generated.  I just don't know!  But the look it fun, clean, colorful, and full of sight gags.  I didn't want to blink once--sadly impossible--so much is onscreen.

There seems to be a political message embedded within the film.  The WALL-E of this decade?  With a villain named Lord Business/President Business it's easy to draw a few conclusions.  And there's an outside society that seems very Libertarian.  I'm not going to get into all that.  I found the message of the movie, by movie's end, to be quite inspiring.  And I theorized, could be totally wrong here, that the name "Business" could come in part from the saying: "Mind your business."  By films end you can find your own meaning.  There's so much that can be taken from this film.

Overall I found The Lego Movie to be a lot of fun.  Clever.  Family friendly.  I saw it in 2D, and I want to see it again in 3D, which could be a blast.

Now I want to play with Lego's.

MPAA: Rated PG for mild action and rude humor.

1 comment:

  1. A perfect movie for the young ones, as well as those who are still young at heart. Good review Sarah.

    ReplyDelete