Monday, February 24, 2014

Harry Potter at the Utah Symphony


Last month Krista and I decided to peruse the Utah Symphony website to see if there was a concert we wanted to go to.  It was she who discovered The Magic of Harry Potter, conducted by Vladimir Kulenovic, highlighting pieces from the first three movies by John Williams, mixed with other delightfully magical pieces.

At the time there was only a Tuesday performance, but due to overwhelming demand the Utah Symphony added a Wednesday date.  As a gift Krista quickly bought tickets so we could all go as a family, siblings + my Mom.  My Dad volunteered to babysit.

The entire hall has sold out, which was awesome to see!!


 Erin (Krista's sister), Krista, Michael, and a mischievously looking Robbie.


 Steven and I.


 The pieces we heard performed!  The conductor wanted to mix in enchanting classical pieces amongst Harry Potter, to introduce classical music to those who may have never heard it performed.  Which, trust me, you haven't lived until you've sat in front of a live Symphony.  The power.  The energy.  There's no way to describe the feeling.

Heh, as a note, I've discovered that it's impossible to listen to The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Paul Dukas without seeing Mickey.  The whole time I'm like: "This is where Mickey falls asleep" "This is when the brooms come alive" "Mickey's drowning!!"  It's pretty funny.  The power of imagery and a childhood enlightened by the classics.  Thanks Disney and Fantasia.

We need a new Fantasia.


 I got a circle of 5ths mouse pad.  The music geek in me couldn't resist.  It was an ongoing joke with my Dad and I for the longest time.  When I attended College of the Sequoias back in 2001, my Dad drove me one day to Visalia for class.  On the way back he asked me what I learned.  "The Circle of 5ths," I replied.  "What's that?" he asked.  So I explained it, and with me being me, detailed and all, within 5 minutes my Dad was yelling "Stop! Stop! I can't take any more."  Confused.  I don't know if he was joking about this aspect of music theory being too much, he use to read Calculus books before going to bed, but it was pretty funny.  Since then, whenever I'd start talking about music, he would shout, "Circle of 5ths!  Circle of 5ths!"


 A glass art structure in the Abravanel Hall lobby, in commemoration of the Salt Lake City 2002 Olympics.  Whenever I see it I think balloon art or underwater coral.  I believe it's supposed to represent Fire, but I'm not sure.


 Right after the performance, which got out around 8:55 pm, we had just enough time to visit Swarovski, which is our favorite store in City Creek.  So many pretty things to look at.  And we were delighted by a water/fire show next to Nordstrom's.


Overall a really fun night, ending with dessert at Denny's.

Vladimir, The Magic of Harry Potter conductor, seemed to have the greatest time, saying really cute jokes between pieces as he explained why some music was selected.  So much fun.

And after a search I just did on the Symphony website, I discovered Video Games Live is coming in SEPTEMBER!!!!!  Do you know how huge that is??!!  Do you know how much I want to go!!!!!?????  Happy thoughts.  Saving up for it.  In the meantime I'll listen to the soundtrack on my iPod.  (The Kingdom Heart piece is the best.)

 
 (I Found this on Facebook)

Music is Magic :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment