Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Gimme Shelter, Movie Review



Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

(As a note to my friends, Jordan Commons is still playing this movie, but Tomorrow is its last day in theaters before leaving.)

“Love comes to those who still hope even though they've been disappointed, to those who still believe even though they've been betrayed, to those who still love even though they've been hurt before.” ~Unknown

I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like living on the streets, being in and out of 10 foster homes, having a mother who is both a prostitute and drug addict, and a father whose done nothing more then send a letter.  Agnes "Apple" Bailey (), a street smart 16-year-old girl, is in this very situation.  It sounds like the stuff Lifetime Television movies are made of, only Gimme Shelter, written and directed by , is based on a true story.

The movie starts with Apple--the name made me think of Gwyneth Paltrow, though the movie shows why Agnes prefers this name--cutting her hair, chanting "I'm okay.  I'm not scared," over and over again.  When she's done she looks in the mirror, and with her we see her rugged image.  This isn't the Vanessa Hudgens of High School Musical; This is a girl raised to emulate her Mother, desperate to be saved, with blotchy skin, dark eyes, piercings, tattoos, the works.  As Apple rushes to the phone to call a taxi, we see her mother June Bailey, played magnificently by , sitting on the ground, drugged up, teeth yellow.  The sight is dramatic.  A foreshadowing of this lunatic woman who haunts her daughter.

Apple finally finds her father Tom Fitzpatrick, played by , who has a family of his own, and successfully works on Wall Street.  He isn't in need of anything, seemingly living the perfect life.  When it's discovered Apple is pregnant, she is taken to an abortion clinic, and the true fight for life begins.
 
I don't mean to spoil anything.  I don't think I truly have.

What I thought was a movie about a single girls survival, becomes a story about fighting for the right to live and to be alive.  It's beautiful and touching.

Though I love the overall message of this movie and what true life inspirations Kathy () and Frank McCarthy () bring to this story, the movie isn't without faults.  There are moments that lag a little, balance problems with story and arch, and side characters not fully fleshed out.  There were times I wanted to peak behind the curtain and see what else was going on, such as the Step Mother's before and after attitude that felt jarring to me, which wasn't fully developed.  I understand everything is from Apple's perspective, her perceptions become ours, I just wish some things were more fleshed out.

But with that stated, I still found this film to be positive and gripping.  A story worth being told.

Another note, makeup artist are typically not mentioned in movie reviews, but I must say how impressed I was with the makeup used on to make her appear sick and unhealthy.  Stunningly eerie.  And though I was impressed with many of the performances in this movie, Rosario was incredible.      

Gimme Shelter isn't for everybody, but I do recommend it, and I'm glad I sought this movie out.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for mature thematic material involving mistreatment, some drug content, violence and language - all concerning teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment