Saturday, February 22, 2014

My Guilty Pleasure . . .


Austenland is now on DVD/Blu-ray!  Just in time for Valentines Day.

Can you believe Valentines was a little over a week ago, and just last week all V-Day candy was 50% off.  Yeah, I took advantage of the sales.

Back on topic.

Austenland.  The movie I vowed, after first seeing it, to rate the film 1.5 stars out of 5.  Then, after some thought, and a couple nights sleeping on it, I rated the movie 3 out of 5 stars for the review I wrote.  Oh, was I mad.  But then I had to see the movie again, just to solidify or debate my first opinion.

After seeing the movie 5 times, yes F-I-V-E times in theaters (twice driving up to Salt Lake), this movie has grown on me in a huge way.  I really like it now, and find some parts really charming.

Oh, I still give it a 3 out of 5 stars simply out of stuberness, and the fact that I still believe the PG-13 elements shouldn't have been included, but that's just the proud prude in me.  (I know, pride before the fall, but there you go.)

Still, this movie is super addictive, and laugh-out-loud funny, especially with a bunch of girls, all of us giggling.

When my Mom and I brought the DVD home my brothers moaned.  Robbie still remembers vividly how mad he was after leaving the theater up in Salt Lake.  Steven was none too pleased, either.  Robbie begged that we never watch Austenland while he's home.  

(Now, I must mention Robbie actually Loves, LOVES romantic comedies.  He sometimes craves them.  And he willingly sits down to Pride and Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables, Road to Avonlea, While You Were Sleeping, etc, whenever they're on.  It's the PG-13 bits of Austenland he found infuriating.  Honestly, I understand and respect him for it.)

So that's when I realized something funny and sad: My brothers view Austenland the same way my Mom and I view Sucker Punch.

(I should note Robbie hasn't seen Sucker Punch, despite encouragement from my Dad and Steven.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment