Friday, January 3, 2014

Utah Scones are not British Scones


It's fun visiting different places and finding foods that are unique to that region.

Utah has a few things that are ingrained within our local culture.  My first "Utah" delicacy I was introduced to was Fry Sauce.  It doesn't seem like a delicacy, but it is, and it's tasty, and whenever I go to a restaurant and they don't have Fry Sauce, I get mayonnaise and ketchup to make my own.  It's that good.

The second Utah food I was introduced to was the scone.  Scone!  So British . . . and for the longest time I thought our Utah scones were like the British scones.  They're not, the Food Network enlightened me on that one.

 (By Takeaway, found on Wikimedia Commons)

Our scones are more like Native American Fry bread.  A slighter sweeter version, as we typically eat them as dessert, with powder sugar, honey butter, and sometimes jam.

If you were talking to a Utahan about scones, we wouldn't be thinking about the traditional British morning biscuit.  We would be thinking of deep fried goodness.

The Utah scone is a must try for everyone visiting this State.  Yes, they're unhealthy, but they're so, so good :0)  A great occasional treat.

I found a list of Native American fry bread recipes by Cookin' With Three Sisters, each recipe tied to a different tribe.  It would be fun to try them out.

And I found on the Shef Shanan website a recipe for Utah Scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment