Monday, July 30, 2012

Fry Sauce! Proof we're now Utahns.


When Steven and I were at the Getty, we ordered the most amazing garlic french fries I have ever had.  And what goes better with fries then Fry Sauce!  If you're not from Utah, you've probably never heard of this delectable condiment.  It wasn't until moving here over 10 years ago when I was introduced to one of Utah's state treasures.

What is Fry Sauce?  It's basically a 2 to 1 ratio of mayonnaise to ketchup.  Very basic.  But there are so many recipes and variations.  Google it, you'll see.  Some recipes add onion powder, or vinegar, pickle juice, barbeque sauce instead of ketchup, etc.     


Arctic Circle, a Utah chain of restaurants, claims it created the first Fry Sauce back in 1948.  Now you can find this sauce at Carl's Jr., Crown Burger, and other restaurants in the Utah region carry this sauce.

Steven and I kept it really simple by blending mayonnaise and ketchup, and boy was it good!  Actually, whenever I eat fry's without this special sauce I feel like something is missing.  I guess this means I'm an official Utahn now.  You can buy it from Arctic Circle, if you don't want to make it, or from Stephen's Gourmet, a Utah based company who specializes in Hot Chocolate.         


I don't know why, but I found this tray conveyer belt really amusing.

Now I'm hungry for fry's.
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment