Monday, October 7, 2013

Flash Flood in Orem UT

(Photo I found on the internet.  
I don't know who to credit)

You never know where you're going to be when tragedy strikes.  I was spontaneously in Salt Lake City and missed all the action last September 7th, a little over 4 weeks ago.

A week before that I was in Southern California when a flash flood hit Riverside.  I was in Ventura at the time, but my Uncle told us all about it, warning us to be careful on the drive back.  Apparently the Riverside Community College suffered some flooding.  Then, driving home, we had to take the long way because there were flash flood warnings in Palmdale, Littlerock, and Victorville CA, which is the path we take to merge unto the I-15.  My Uncle called later and said that there was a flash flood in Victorville, around the time we would have passed through.

Then on the 7th my Mom got the sudden idea to go to Salt Lake, when we were going to originally hang out near the University Mall.  There was a light rain in Salt Lake, but nothing major.  Just nice and warm.  But as soon as we headed back to the Valley my Mom and I were hit with all these stories.

There was a green sky and the beginnings of a tornado, but thankfully, thanks to the mountains, it didn't completely form.  My brothers went out to watch, high winds and flashes of lightning every second.  There was a game going on at BYU, and according to a couple people it was super scary.  And the next day I found out a lot of people suffered flooding in their basements.

We were lucky. 

The following week there were flash floods taking place all over Colorado.

Crazy, slow storm.

2 comments:

  1. My husband caught the storm on his phone! It was pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super, super scary! I would have liked to see the green sky, though. That could have been cool.

      Delete