Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Renaissance Fair at Thanksgiving Point


 Last Saturday I went to the Renaissance Fair at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi Utah.  It's the first in the Valley, I believe, could be super wrong about that, so all my friends were talking about it.  The event took place last Friday and Saturday with a cost of $10 an adult, which, in retrospect, is overpriced.

I was going to go on Friday, but I'm glad I didn't, instead going to the Gem Fair in Sandy  (had free Friday tickets, and that's where my Mom buys a lot of her jewelry material).  Around noon time, which is when I passed Thansgiving Point, there was an absolute downpour, and when going around the point of the mountain the rain turned into snow.  In short, terrible weather, and a terrible day to do anything outside.  Hopefully it cleared up for anyone who showed up later that afternoon.  That would have been miserable.

The Renaissance Fair was fun, but it's nothing like the Ren. fairs I went to in Tulare Country, CA.  They're a big deal there, and the atmosphere is different.  I didn't join any of the guilds, but there were a few, and when you join you take on a role and class, and there is a strict adherence to being historically correct, even down to the right fabric.  It's super cool, and even all the booths are as historically close as they can be.  At Thanksgiving Point it was all over the place with attendees confusing Fantasy and Steam Punk with the period between 1400-1600 AD.  I know it's all in good fun, but I did find myself missing the Renaissance Fairs of my youth.  


Members of the court.




Only in Utah do you find modest belly dancers.




Knights of Mayhem!!  The World jousting champion Charlie Andrews, who's from Utah, was there to joust.  First time seeing it in person! 




And my big splurge, which I promised I wouldn't do, was to buy two Scottish Country Dance books from the 1950's.  The piece shown above is from 1796.  Not from the Renaissance period, but it's cool to have.  Can't wait to learn the music; wish I can figure out the dance pattern.


The above picture was taken my senior year of high school.  We had a class project to put together and host a Renaissance Fair.  I made the above dress!  The first, and only time, I've sewn an outfit.  My Grandma helped me, guiding me through the steps, but I did all the hands on work.  I would go over to her house everyday for a few weeks, spending several hours at a time.  Good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment