Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Star Trek VS Star Wars


It was in the sixth grade that I realized there was a rivalry of sorts between the Star Wars and Star Trek fandoms.  Honestly, rivalry seems too polite of a word.  

This knowledge came to my attention by my friend Jeff, who was the one who actually introduced me to Star Wars in the fifth grade, after he found out my brothers and I were huge Trekkers.  He was proud of the fact that he created Star Wars fans, but no matter how hard my brothers and I tried, we couldn't get him to like Star Trek.  Honestly, though, he wasn't even willing to sit through an episode.  Maybe that means my brothers and I were more open minded, because we did sit through all three Star Wars movies and gave the franchise a chance.

Jeff then told me that those who like Star Wars don't like Star Trek, and vice versa.  He eluded that it wasn't possible to like both.  How can you not like both!?  That was my reaction every time he brought it up, and he always brought it up after I tried to get him to at least watch a Star Trek episode, and he refused.  Goodness, I tried to get him into Star Trek: TNG when the show was still on air and they were in their final season, before Voyager was even a show.

In High School many of my Odyssey of the Mind friends liked brother Star Wars and Star Trek equally, but there were a couple in our group who were huge Star Wars fans, but didn't like Star Trek.  Thanks to that fact we had a group outing to see "Star Trek: Insurrection" when it was out.  That didn't sway any of my Star Wars friends to like Star Trek, but though I do like "Star Trek: Insurrection," it's not the strongest Star Trek film.  "Star Trek: First Contact" still holds the top Star Trek movie spot in my mind . . . that is until I see "Star Trek: Into Darkness" . . . ah, we'll see, First Contact is still a stand alone brilliant film.  I HATE the Borg, they freak me out beyond all sci-fi villains combined.  I even avoid all Borg Star Trek episodes, even the one with Q--Q's my favorite Star Trek character--but I still love First Contact.  The movie's that awesome.

Since High School I've completely forgotten about the rivalry, that is until news came out that J.J.Abrams left the 3rd Star Trek film directing post to direct Star Wars Episode VII.  That's when I found out the rivalry between the two fandoms was real!  The forums exploded!  Articles and blog posts were written.  Etc, etc, debates, commentaries all over the place declaring their yays or nays.  I'm a strong Yay.  I want the new Star Wars reboot to be as strong as the J.J.Abrams Star Trek reboot.

Of course I still haven't seen "Star Trek: Into Darkness," which isn't happening until Friday!  Ah!  So hard waiting when I know people have started seeing the movie on IMAX.  I've got high hopes, both in the next movie, and the future of the Star Trek/Star Wars fandoms.

Honestly, it's so much more fun loving both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment