Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Remembering Our Heroes


When I was in High School I had the great fortune to volunteer a few times at a convalescent hospital.  It seemed, really, that I didn't do much; mainly making crafts and talking to the patients. Though the service was small I did pat myself on the back a few times for doing charity.

I was humbled real fast that Summer of 1999.

The weather was hot, and July 4th was soon upon us.  My friend and I were asked to bring all those sitting in wheel chairs to the pavilion for a patriot ceremony.  The flag was raised, the words sweet, then something happened that I will never, never forget.

The person leading the ceremony asked all those who had served during World War II to stand.  Suddenly most of the men stood, and I was quickly humbled, tears running down my face.  Those men who I thought I was serving had given me the greatest service of all.

  We are the Land of the Free because of the Brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment