Thursday, May 30, 2013

Learning to play a Hyundai . . .


Did you know Hyundai made pianos?

I've known since I was eight, back when my family bought the above pictured upright 23 years ago.  It's the piano I learned to play on, and it honestly sounds great, though I read a review somewhere that Hyundai full grands are not that good.  

I've known about Hyundai being in the musical instrument business long before I heard about their cars, which are fantastic.  Several members of my family own one, though I've got a Chevrolet.   Someday I'm destined to own a Hyundai, simply because I grew up playing one.  We'll see.  It would be classic if I ended up with a Sonata! (Another music connection.) 

My ultimate dream is to one day own a full grand Yamaha.  They're amazing!  Back at BYU I would go down to the piano rooms and play the Yamaha's . . . and then drool a little.  Steinway's are amazing, don't get me wrong.  They've earned the reputation they deserve.  My Grandpa R. used to own a Steinway full grand.  When I was a kid I played on it several times, but not understanding the King of Piano legend the Steinway has, I didn't appreciate it.

The Steinway piano was promised to one day go to me, but when my Grandpa moved back to Ventura he sold it for an electric piano.  I cried that day!  And even now, 13 years after he sold it, I'll bring up the fact that he made a bad investment choice in selling the instrument.  Acoustic pianos, if well maintained, maintain or appreciate in value, especially a Steinway Full Grand!!  Anything electronic, especially instruments with old technology, depreciate in value.  Logic.  I've explained this to him many times, but he still insists that his electronic piano is worth a lot of money.  The keys aren't even weighted.   -_-;;  He'll never get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment