Sunday, March 17, 2013

At the End of a Rainbow


I can honestly say I've been at the end of a rainbow.  On Facebook, August 9, 2010, I wrote: A few days ago on the way home from SLC (Salt Lake City) I suddenly found myself at the end of a Rainbow (it was touching the white of my car and extended to the mountain), and no, I didn't find a pot of Gold.  Childhood myth debunked."

I didn't find any skittles either.

Somewhere I once read that it's impossible to be at the end of a rainbow, something to do with light physics. 

It was lightly raining coming home in the passenger seat that day; the sun was bright and clear.  My Mom was driving, and we first noticed a vivid rainbow light up at the base of the mountain, colors sharp.  It was hard not to stare. 

We had just rounded the the Point of the Mountain, as we locals call it (the point where I-15 bends around the mountain, separating Salt Lake Valley from Utah Valley), around the Lehi area when we first noticed the rainbow.  A couple miles later the rainbow contined to grow, moving with us, still touching the mountain, and then all of a sudden the miraculous happened.  The hood of our white car was shining with a beautiful mix of colors.  My Mom and I were in shock.  From our car to the mountain there was a perfect, full arch rainbow.

It's one of those memories I will never forget.  As a child my family would hop in the car during a rainstorm, driving around orange fields in Central California.  All that space, hours of driving, and we could never find ourselves at the end of the rainbow.  Then in August, 2010, the Rainbow came to us without even trying.  Maybe that's why there was no Gold.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  May you find yourself at the end of a  Rainbow :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment