Monday, July 16, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman: Movie Review


"Oh, how I wish that I had a daughter that had skin white as snow, 
lips red as blood, and hair black as ebony"

Rating: 3 stars out of 5

I just finished reading my Grimm's copy of "Little Snow White."  In this version Snow White is seven when she comes of age and is sent into the woods to beg for her life, only to be tricked three times by her wicked step-mother and die by poison apple.  She awakes not by true loves kiss, but by the jostling of her glass coffin causing the apple to dislodge.  The Prince bought the coffin from one of the guarding dwarfs (no idea how old he was) after falling in love with her beauty.  

All throughout Europe there are different variations to the Snow White tale.  In some her heart is wanted by the queen, in other versions it's her lungs.  The dwarfs are even, in one incarnation, robbers.  And as we've seen this year, Snow White has been retold three times, in three entirely different ways, and I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Snow White.  She's been around since the 1800's after all.
 
So what makes this retailing different?  Snow White and the Huntsman, according to the title, highlights the connection between these two characters, but by the end of the movie you can't help but feel this wasn't achieved.  Charlize Theron as the evil Queen is clearly the star of the movie, and it seems a movie title "Fairest of them All" would have been more accurate.  

Charlize steals the movie with her screen presence and beauty.  She commands attention and gets it, though I feel at times her need for control comes off temper-tantrum like, garnered through years of getting her way

In the movie, after Snow Whites true mother dies, the King is a total wreck, and like the great father figure he should be, he runs off to battle, leaving his daughter to be raised by others.  Because his pain obviously is greater then Snow White's.  They're fighting a dark army when a carriage pulls up.  A prisoner has been captored!  One prisoner!  It's a beautiful women!  Marry her tomorrow!  And he does, which leads to his immediate demise after she kills him.  

I have to stop and wonder how great a King he really was.  Everyone says he's great, and yet he selfishly and foolishly leads his Kingdom to darkness and ruin.  But he's great!! We need to honor him!  And of course Snow White, at the tender age of seven or eight, is thrown into a tower, because the queen doesn't want to kill her.  Let her live and grow old in a tower . . . just because.

Enough of that, back to the review.  Snow White comes of age and is fairer then the Queen, not necessarily thanks to her looks, but her heart.  Snow White has a pure heart, and that gives her magic powers.

 Snow White flees to the forest, a Huntsman is sent to follow, only for them to become love interest!  Well, the movie is called Snow White and the Huntsman after all. We expect it.  Only Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth don't have believable chemistry.  And the plot misses opportunities to bring them together more often then not.  Then you've got the Duke's son trying to find Snow White, running with the bad guys as an archer.  Honestly I like Sam Claflin's William, the Dukes son, and by the end of the movie I felt real bad for him.

The tragedy of this movie is that there was a lot of promise.  I loved the darker tone, but it was a little too much at times.  Too many battles.  And the movie felt long.  A mark of a great movie is that you don't feel the time pass, but I did with this movie, and it was painful at times.  

The movie clearly wants the Huntsman and Snow White together.  He teaches her a fighting technique that helps her defeat the Queen.  He kills the Queens brother which weakens her.  At the end it's the Huntsman's kiss, not the Duke's son, that awakens her, only she never learns this.  Snow White just wakes up and gives a rousing speech which leads everyone to battle.  The last shot of the movie is Snow White being queened and the Huntsman looking on from the back of the hall.  It feels empty, hallow even.  

I like the idea of the Huntsman getting together with the princess.  Like I said before, there's so many versions of this tale that this would be an interesting twist, and in the story I read Snow White doesn't even get kissed.  (And if you think I read a version that appeals to children, you should read Rapunzel.  That girls got problems!!)    

What the movie gets right is the incredible CGI.  The visual affects are amazing, and I loved the fairy forest.  The dwarfs were fun.  And I heard other people say Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman felt like Thor was cosplaying.  I didn't feel that way at all.  I liked his portrayal.  I didn't care so much for Kristen Stewart's Snow White.  Gennifer Goodwin, from Once Upon a Time, wins the Snow White wars.  She is hands down my favorite.  

I can't really say I recommend anyone see this movie, though I must admit I have seen it twice.  I'm sure the producers and studio was hoping this movie had the same success as 2010's Alice and Wonderland, which grossed over a billion worldwide.  Snow White and the Huntsman, since June 1st, has only grossed $151,630,800 domestic and $370,430,800 worldwide.   Not bad, but not great. 

One last comment.  Florence + the Machine's end credit song "Breath of Life" is epic.  I've been listening to it on loop.
                     
 Have a great day!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was a little underwhelmed with "Huntsman," although I did like that it wasn't traditional. Made it more fun, with all the twists. And I liked seeing the Queen's side of the story. It's always nice seeing why people are crazy. :D

    ReplyDelete