Saturday, April 7, 2012

Battle of the Snow Whites!


I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a lot of Snow White action going on in the entertainment world.  A major, successful television series where Snow White is the star, and two movies coming out this year, one of which came out just last week.

The first movie I ever remember going to the theaters and seeing was Snow White.  Before the Disney Vault meant the movie being sold on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray 3D, etc, every few years, Disney would re-release the movie to theaters every 7-10 years, so that a new generation got to experience the movie on the big-screen.  In 1987, which was the 50th anniversary of the original 1937 release, my parents took me to see it.  I remember loving it, and I remember being in awe of the theater.  I don't know where it was, but we were in Santa Barbara, and the theater was beautiful.  Funny how we remember little details like that.

Disney's Snow White set the standard, but how are the other Snow White's going to fare?

Once Upon a Time:

  (Show Trailer)

Once Upon a Time came out on ABC for the Fall 2011 season, and is still going strong.  I'm such a fan!  Actually, I'm getting quite obsessed.  The show is brilliant and marvelously written.  Each week it's amazing to see how they blend all the fairy tale worlds so flawlessly.  Ginnifer Goodwin is a wonderful Snow White, and I've got to admit, my favorite Snow White I've seen.  The show hasn't been renewed yet, which makes me nervous, but ABC hasn't renewed any of their shows.  It does make me worry, because, sense this show is shown on Sundays, and the fact that ABC bumps Once Upon a Time for grand events like the Oscars, I hope all the push backs won't lose audience.  For whatever reason the next episode isn't scheduled to air until April 22, and that's a little depressing.  I just hope this show gets a proper end, and lasts as long as possible.  here's a behind the scenes video:

   
Mirror, Mirror:


I saw this movie last weekend, opening weekend, and you know what's sad?  I keep forgetting I've seen it.  Not proof of a great movie.  Lily Collins was a cute Snow White, but really that's what I'm left with.  The visuals and costumes were fun, and some scenes made me laugh, but there were moments verging on the absurd that I found myself mentally checking out.  I really, really wanted to like this movie, but in the end I'm fine seeing it just once.

Snow White and the Huntsman:  


This movie hasn't come out yet, but I've gotta say, I can't wait!  The trailer is amazing, which is promising.  But I love the dark tone and the Tron like music in the beginning, though I doubt that style of music will be in the actual score.  I'm counting the days for this movie.  Though, I'm not so sure how I feel about Kristen Stewart as Snow White, but I will withhold judgment until I see her play the part.

Now, it's interesting to note that Snow White isn't the only fairytale getting makeovers. Jack the Giant Killer, based on Jack and the Bean Stock, is being released in 2013.  Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is being released January of 2013.  And there is a NBC show called Grimm, which has been renewed for a second season. 
Now, on a final note, I leave you with a really fun Once Upon a Time fan video I found:


Happy Ever Afters!
Sarah    

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE ONCE UPON A TIME! I'm not quite as enthused by Grimm, but that could be because it is so...grim... :D I'm really looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman, even though I'm not a Kristin Stewart fan. I can get behind her being super warrior-like. :D

    ReplyDelete