Thursday, July 26, 2012

Los Angeles Getty Museum: Part 1, the Gardens


Earlier this month Steven and I visited the Los Angeles Getty Museum.  This amazing museum is free for the public, all you have to do is pay for parking which is $15.  The Getty isn't just known for its large collection of European works, but also for its architecture and gardens.  Everything blends together, creating a relaxing atmosphere above a busy city.  Here are some pictures I took during the visit.


After you leave the parking garage, you take a tram up to the top of the mountain, enjoying the views of the city and highway 405.  


Right when we got off the tram we took a tour of the gardens, but what thrilled me the most was learning about the walls and how the stone is Travertine.  It's beautiful.  I love the texture and how there are fossils.  The travertine found at the Getty is quarried in Italy. 

     
The reason why all the buildings, though different shapes and sizes, feel uniform is because of the square grid connecting everything. 



It's hard not to take in the Los Angeles view and ocean when in the garden. 


More pictures of the Garden.



 Steven sketched while I took pictures.


It's Boy Holding Frog!!  Actually, I have no idea what this sculpture is named.  At first Steven thought he was holding a crab, but I corrected him.  Soon we decided to get excited every time we saw him.


Overlooking the city.


Have a great day!
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link. I really like the artwork and the use of line/color. And I'm glad you like my blog :0)

    ReplyDelete