Sunday, July 29, 2012

Los Angeles Getty Museum: Part 3, the Sculptures


When I went to the Getty in Los Angeles I was excited about the gardens and paintings. Not once did I predict it would be sculptures I got most excited about.  So I saved the best for last!  Above is "Mercury," 1560 by Alessandro Vittoria.  It's a smaller version of a sculpture Vittoria did for Doge's Palace in Venice.

Below is "Dancer," 1912 by Paolo Troubetzkoy.  He's apparently an Italian born son of a Russian Prince and an American mother, which I find very interesting.  The movement of this piece is absolutely beautiful; there's such a feeling of energy and life.  She's Countess de Svirsky, a famous Russian dancer known throughout Europe and America.


"Pair of Figures," about 1780 in France by Louis-Simon Boizot.  This beautiful figure sits on top a piece of furniture.  She represents Study.


"Time Witnessing the Triumph of Honor, Integrity, and Prudence over Vice," about 1725 by a Parisian artist.  I love what this bronze stands for.


"Virgin and Child," About 1520 by Andrea Briosco.  Stunning. 


"Bust of Juliette Recamier," 1801 by Joseph Chinard.  She had an affair with the Prince of Prussia.  Was courted by Napoleon's brother.  In short, she got around.  Everyone knew her for her beauty.  I actually think Juliette looks a little like Adele.


"Juno," 1776 by Joseph Nollekens in Marble.  She's Queen of the Gods and the Roman goddess of marriage. 


Juno with "Venus," 1773, also done by Joseph Nollekens.  We all know what she's the Goddess of.


"Covered Goblet with Mythological Scenes," about 1680 by Balthasar Griessmann.  Not a morally sound piece, but it's a lot of fun to look at. 


"Joke Glass," 1600s, either German or Netherlands.  This isn't a sculpture, but blown glass.  It's amazing and made me laugh.


Have a fantastic day!!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I remember going there as a child. I LOVE that museum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! And you can see the Los Angeles temple amongst all the tall buildings! I took a picture that I'll post sometime this week:0)

      Delete